Church History

In 1885 the Scandinavian Lutherans and Zion Congregation purchased the Methodist Episcopal Church in Glyndon for $275.  In 1892 the Ladies Aid was organized.  Zion Congregation decided to build a church in Spring Prairie Township and sold their interests to Glyndon for $170 and on May 19, 1900 the “Glyndon Lutheran Church” was organized.

In 1927 a parsonage was purchased for $2,500.  In 1936 the Glyndon Catholic Church and four lots were bought for $300. A basement put under it and a 16 x 18 foot chancel added.  The old church was torn down and salvaged material used to build an addition, with much of the wood donated by the members, the cost of the new church was $3,500.  The Ladies Aid assumed responsibility for the loan payments and the debt was paid in full in 1945.

The dedication and laying of the cornerstone was held May 19, 1940.  The Luther League bought carpet for the chancel, weekday church school began and the pastors’ pension plan was started.

A merger of Zion and the Glyndon congregations was effected in December 1947.  In December 1948 a Minshall-Esty organ was purchased for $1,325.  A building fund was begun and in October 1952 ground was broken for a 38 x 62 foot addition to the north with the present church becoming the parish education and overflow rooms.  The cornerstone for this project was laid December 5, 1954 and the dedication service held March 4, 1955.

In 1960 twelve lots at the north end of the church block were purchased for further expansion and trees were planted.

In November 1966 a used pipe organ was purchased and installed for $2,300. This organ is one that today has historical significance. If you would like to read more about the organ and the restorative work that was done, please visit Organ History.

In May 1967 construction began on a new parish education addition to the east at a cost of $49,976.  In 1978 steel siding was installed on the church.  Sometime in the 80’s the old parsonage was sold and another was purchased and later sold in 1997.

Pastors who served our congregation are as follows:
HB.Kildahl, 1898-1900;
L.M. Skuness, 1901-04;
John Peterson, 1904-13;
Martin Anderson, 1914-17
Jacob Tanner, 1917-21;
H.J. Wickre, 1921-1923;
B.J. Blikstad, 1924-1929;
C.B. Runsvold, 1930-46;
O.M. Bratlie, 1947;
Alvin Stenberg, 1948-51;
H.M.Finstad, 1952-56;
J.M. Langemo, 1956-65;
Glenn Anderson, 1966-73;
Clair Schwalm, 1973-80;
Raymond Klug, 1980-85;
Trueman Daniels (interim);
Larry Vigen, 1986-1989;
Kent Garlinghouse (interim);
Ralph Hofrenning (interim);
Loren Fevig, 1990-93;
Victor Jortack, 1993-96;
John Flaa (interim);
Mark Strobel, 1997-2000;
Allyne M. Holz, 2000-2007;
Ryan Stout, Paul Miller, Rolf Aanstad, (interim) 2007-2011;
Jeni Grangaard, 2010 to 2015;
Steve Wold (interim);
Kayla Billings, 2015 to present

Lay Assistants who served were:
Charles Stevens, 1972-73;
Earl Sletten, assistant pastor, 1973-1977;
Terry Nordheim, youth director, 1976-78;
Thomas Rhodes, 1978-79;
Greg Billberg, 1980-81;
Jim Duehring, 1981-91;
Kathy Febig, 1991;
Darcy Knutson, 1991-1993;
Graciella Jortack, seminary internship, 1994;
Kathy Haugen, family minister, 1995-2006;
Kristina Johnson, family minister, 2007 to present